Web Content Viewer

Student Tax Education Program - Topic 5

Student Tax Education Program - Topic 5

W-2(s) and 1099(s) Explained

  • If you are issued a 1099 as your income statement from your employer, this is because you are considered self-employed and performed a job for the company issuing the 1099. This means you are responsible for making estimated payments for your taxes IT 1040ES instead of the employer withholding from your pay and remitting on your behalf.
  • You will note that there may be a place for state taxes paid on this form, but in most cases this will be empty.
  • Other reasons someone would be issued a 1099 could be having received unemployment income, lottery winnings, retirement income, interest earnings on a savings account or dividends paid from investments.

This is a wage and earnings statement that your employer sends to you at the end of the year. It shows how much you made and how much was withheld for taxes. These amounts are broken into federal, state, and local amounts.

Treat these documents with care. Sometimes they can be hard to replace. You will need to contact your employer(s) for additional copies, not the State or IRS. It may be a smart decision to make a photocopy to keep for your records. Keep these for at least 4 years. Sometimes it could take a while for an error on a tax return to be identified and keeping these documents safe will make fixing errors much easier. They are also necessary for amending a tax return later, in case you discover an error on your own that needs corrected.

To amend an already-filed tax return, use the Ohio Individual Income Tax Return (IT 1040) for the Ohio income taxes and the School District Income Tax Return (SD 100) for the school district income taxes.

W-2(s) can only be issued to you by your employer. Generally, employers must mail W-2(s) to their employees by January 31st. If you haven't received your W-2 by February 15th, contact your employer to confirm that your W-2 was sent to your current address. If your employer is out of business or refuses to issue your W-2, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to report the employer.

You are required to file your Ohio Individual Income Tax Return whether or not you received your W-2. If your employer does not provide you with a W-2, you should submit a copy of your year-end pay stubs when filing your Ohio return.

Note: Do not submit an IRS Wage and Income Statement transcript. It does not include Ohio withholding information.

For more information regarding Form W-2, visit the Internal Revenue Service's website at www.irs.gov.

  • These are documents issued by your employer, not the state or federal government. If you need replacements or corrections made, contact your employer’s payroll department or human resources department.
  • You will receive several copies of the same form. Many are labeled as “state copy” or “local copy” or “federal copy”. Ideally, the state copy should be used for your IT 1040, and the local copy should be used for your SD 100. However, be sure to check the locality description to ensure you are using the correct district. Only claim withholdings on your Ohio IT 1040 if your W-2 states that Ohio was the state taxes were paid to. This is found in box 15. The amount of taxes paid to Ohio would be found in box 17.
  • You will find the taxes paid to a taxing school district in boxes 19 and 20. Be careful as there may be more than one locality that taxes were paid to, such as municipal income taxes. For school district tax, the locality name should appear as the name of the school district with an abbreviation of SD, LSD, CSD, or EVSD after it, or you will see a 4-digit number along with SD by it. (e.g. Lancaster City School District could appear as Lancaster CSD or SD 2305). If you only see the description “Lancaster” in the box, this is for city taxes and would be used for filing a tax form with that city. Do not use this information for school district taxes.


Additional Resources

Additional Resources