Web Content Viewer
Student Tax Education Program - Topic 2
Student Tax Education Program - Topic 2

First time filing my taxes. What are my options?

Taxpayers who dislike dealing with tax forms may prefer I-File. The I-File wizard asks you a series of questions then compiles a state or school district income tax return based on your answers.

  • I-File is a fast, free and secure way to file taxes through the Ohio Department of Taxation's website.
  • If you are a first time filer you will not be eligible to use I-File.
  • You can file both state and school district income tax returns as far back as 5 years.
  • If you are having problems using I-File, you can call the Ohio Department of Taxation at 1-800-282-1780 and one of our tax representatives can guide you through the I-File system.
  • Should you owe taxes, I-File allows you to make a payment online or by mailing in a check or money order.
  • You will get a confirmation number for submitting the return and a separate confirmation number for making a payment through the I-File system, which you keep for your records.


You may also use tax preparation software to complete your return or have a paid preparer complete your tax return.

  • Paid preparers are typically CPAs, accountants, or people who work for tax preparation companies. They can file your return electronically for you.
  • Tax preparation software applications are available for purchase online or in many stores. The software usually allows you to file federal, state, and school district income taxes.


Paper returns can be found at libraries throughout Ohio. They can also be downloaded and printed from the Ohio Department of Taxation's website. Paper returns can also be requested to be received through the mail by calling 1-800-282-1782.

  • If you have never filed taxes before, you may not be eligible to use the I-File and may need to submit a paper return.
  • Paper returns need to be mailed on or before the April deadline.
  • If you owe taxes, a paper check or money order will need to be mailed with a payment voucher (Form IT 40P for state income tax or SD 40P for school district income tax).
  • Payment of any taxes due must be postmarked on or before the April deadline.



Additional Resources

Additional Resources