April 27, 2000 - Columbus, Ohio - "Something for Everyone"
Business questions; Governments answers at unique meeting. It’s a first-of-a-kind offer Ohio businesses may find hard to refuse. On Friday, May 19th in Columbus, the Ohio Department of Taxation is partnering with the IRS and numerous other federal, state, and local government agencies, in sponsorship of a daylong, educational conference for new, existing or prospective employers.
This new Joint Conference for Ohio Employers is bringing together ten agencies to offer "One-Stop Service" and answers to virtually any question an employer might have about taxes, labor law or potential government assistance.
Ohio Tax Commissioner Tom Zaino says the information available at the conference can benefit anyone in business, "Those new to business obviously face some considerable compliance issues. This conference offers tremendous resources to help organize that aspect of doing business. Beyond that, I believe there’s also value for existing employers in keeping up with laws and regulations that are constantly changing. There really will be something for everyone."
The conference, which runs from 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., will feature panel presentations from the participating agencies on a variety of topics (see below). The agencies will also have specialists on hand to answer individual questions. IRS Taxpayer Education Coordinator, Bobbie Ackley, says the goal is to leave no question unanswered, "This conference will give employers a good overall picture of the requirements they face but we also want it to be interactive. If we can’t get an employer’s questions answered at the conference, we’ll track down the answer afterward and get back to them."
The conference is free and will be at the Ohio Department of Transportation building/Auditorium, 1980 West Broad Street in Columbus. To register, employers can call the IRS at 513/263-4773, or visit the IRS (www.irs.gov see ‘Small Business Corner’) or Ohio Department of Taxation website (http://tax.ohio.gov/).
# # #
(For more information, contact Bobbie Ackley, IRS, Taxpayer Education
Coordinator at 513/263-3942 or Gary Gudmundson, Communications
Director, Ohio Department of Taxation at 614/644-6903.)
JOINT CONFERENCE FOR OHIO EMPLOYERS
May 19, 2000
Participating Agencies / Issues
- INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE
- Payroll tax requirements – Employment tax issues – Employee v. Independent Contractor – Employer sponsored retirement plans.
- OHIO DEPARTMENT OF TAXATION
- How to register for Withholding Taxes – Forms – Thresholds – Filing dates – Taxpayer assistance.
- OHIO BUREAU OF WORKERS COMPENSATION
- Overview of Workers compensation system.
- OHIO BUREAU OF EMPLOYMENT SERVICES
- Job services – Unemployment taxes.
- OHIO DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENT /
SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTERS
- Business management consulting and counseling services.
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR / WAGE & HOUR DIVISION
- Minimum wage – Overtime – Child Labor Laws – Family Medical Leave Act.
- (U.S.) SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- Loans and programs for growing businesses.
- SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
- Wage reporting – Work history verification – SSN verification – Hiring disabled employees.
- CITY OF COLUMBUS
- Overview of city tax issues for employers.