News Releases - 2008
- Last Tangible Personal Property Tax Payments Now Due — Sept. 19, 2008
The elimination of Ohio's century-and-a-half old local property tax on machinery, equipment and inventory used in business will soon be at hand.
- Tax Commissioner Responds to Windstorm by Extending Tax Deadlines — Sept. 16, 2008
Ohio Tax Commissioner Richard A. Levin announced today that he is granting extensions to individuals and business taxpayers who have tax returns or bills due this week.
The Ohio Department of Taxation is moving forward with a major technology upgrade designed to increase the scope of customer services, the efficiency of operations, and the effectiveness of tax collections.
Ohio smokers who’ve gone online in search of cheap cigarettes may find out that it cost them more than they anticipated.
- Streamlined Sales Tax Effort Takes Step Forward— April 25, 2008
Legislation signed by Governor Ted Strickland last week means that businesses engaging in delivery sales within Ohio will soon return to the state’s traditional way of calculating the sales tax: at the origin of the sale.
- Tangible Personal Property Tax Nearing End: Final Returns Due April 30 — April 24, 2008
Ohio’s local property taxes on business machinery, equipment and inventory have long been a source of irritation for Ohio business owners.
- Accreditation Assessment Team Invites Public Comment — April 7, 2008
The Ohio Department of Taxation’s Enforcement Division is holding a public comment period on April 28 as part of the division’s triennial accreditation assessment by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA).
- Office of the Governor News Release: Governor Urges Seniors, Veterans to Apply for Stimulus Payments — March 20, 2008
Governor Ted Strickland today urged Ohioans to reach out to family and friends to make sure they are filing federal income tax returns this year so they can preserve their right to receive the economic stimulus payments recently authorized by Congress.
- State Tax Burden Falls to 38th in the Nation — March 12, 2008
The state tax burden in Ohio fell to 38th in the nation last year when ranked on a per capita basis, according to a new report.
- Ohio Offers Speedy New Way to File Income Tax Returns — Feb. 11, 2008
Income tax filing season is again underway in Ohio – and with the new season comes yet another way for Ohio taxpayers to cut through the red tape and get a state income tax refund fast.
- Ron Hohman Inducted into Ohio Tax Hall of Fame — Jan. 29, 2008
A career Ohio Department of Taxation employee was inducted into the Ohio Tax Hall of Fame here during a ceremony at the 17th annual Ohio Tax Conference Tuesday.
- Taxation Names New Chief Legal Counsel — Jan. 11, 2008
The Ohio Department of Taxation today announced that Christine Mesirow will soon be joining the department as its new chief legal counsel.
- Homestead Exemption Applications Again Available— Jan. 8, 2008
Senior citizens who didn’t apply for the homestead exemption last year – and the tax savings it means on bills now being mailed to property owners – will now get another chance to sign up.