This section of the department’s Web site is designed for members of the media with questions about department events, policies or procedures. A collection of news releases issued since 1999 is available below.
Recent News Releases
- Ohio Moving Income Tax Filing and Payment Deadline to May 17 - March 24, 2021
- Ohio Urging Victims of Unemployment Fraud to Act Now to Avoid Tax Troubles - February 10, 2021
- Tax Deadline: Seven Days Left to File an Ohio Income Tax Return - July 8, 2020
- Executive Order Waiving Truck Permit for COVID-19 Cargo - April 17, 2020
- Beware COVID-19 Scam – April 10, 2020
- Ohio Extending Income Tax Filing and Payment Deadline - March 27, 2020
- Income tax season opens Jan. 27 - January 24, 2020
- Ohio’s Tax on Vapor Products Effective 10/1/2019 - September 30, 2019
- Ohio’s Income Tax Filing Season Nears - January 23, 2019
- TC's Final Letter to the Editor - January 3, 2019
- Ohio Cuts Income Tax Withholding Rates - November 30,2018
- Ohio response to Wayfair ruling - June 21,2018
- OHIO EXTENDS DUE DATE TO FILE AND PAY INCOME TAXES - April 18,2018
- Important Ohio Income Tax Changes Signed Into Law - April 2,2018
- Court Upholds State Law Changing Municipal Tax System - February 21,2018
- Your Help Needed Fighting Tax Fraud
- Tax Fraud Update
- Ohio Tax Commissioner Joe Testa op-ed on Stopping ID Theft from Paying Off
- Fact Sheet- Fighting Tax Fraud in Ohio
- Taxpayer Fraud Alert
- Ohio Business Gateway Opens for Municipal Tax - February 5, 2018
- Income Tax Filing Season Begins Monday, January 29th - January 26, 2018
- Income Tax Filing Deadline is April 18 - April 12, 2017
- Ohio Income Tax Filing Season Opens on January 23 - January 18, 2017
- Ohio's Second Sales Tax Holiday is Almost Here - August 3, 2016
- Ohio’s Tax Commissioner Wants to Hear from You - July 26, 2016
- Over 1 Million Fewer Taxpayers Asked to Take ID Quiz This Filing Season - June 9, 2016
- New Year; New Look: Ohio Income Tax Filing Season Opens Today - January 19, 2016
- More than One-Half Billion Dollars in Attempted Tax Theft Stopped by Ohio Department of Taxation - December 8, 2015
- Ohio's First Sales Tax Holiday is Near - July 29, 2015
- Ohio Farm Land Values Released, and Concerns Expressed at Hearing Today - May 28, 2015
- Ohio Department of Taxation Seeing No Let-up in Fraud Attempts - March 18, 2015
- Ohio's Fight Against Tax Fraud is Working - February 20, 2015
- Now Accepting 2014 Income Tax Returns - January 22, 2015
- Ohio Small Businesses - Don't Pass Up 50% Off! - September 15, 2014
- Criminal Investigations Division Earns Award of Excellence - August 6, 2014
- Governor Signs Legislation Providing Further Tax Relief for Ohioans - June 17, 2014
- Continuing to Strengthen Ohio: Cutting the Income Tax and Stimulating Job Creation - March 12, 2014
- Ohio Department of Taxation Goes Mobile - March 10, 2014
- Tax Commissioner Delivers New Era of Service for Business Taxpayers - February 12, 2014
- Ohio Tax Commissioner Issues Alert to All Ohio Small Businesses - January 21, 2014
A majority of small business owners and entrepreneurs in Ohio are eligible for a 50 percent tax deduction on their first $250,000 of business income as part of tax cuts approved last year, according to an alert issued by Ohio Tax Commissioner Joe Testa today
- Legislation Sought to Refund Businesses All Overpaid Taxes - November 25, 2013
- Lower Tax Withholding Rates Take Effect September 1 — August 26, 2013
- Conformity Bill Eliminates Significant Tax Filing Complications — March 25, 2013
Ohio Governor John Kasich has now signed into law a bill that brings the state income tax system into alignment with the federal tax system, an act important to thousands of Ohio income tax filers.
- Ohio Use Tax Amnesty Coming to an End Soon — March 21, 2013
On May 1, 2013, Ohio’s first-ever use tax amnesty program will end as will the opportunity for businesses to pay -- with no penalty or interest -- any unpaid use tax liability incurred since January 2009.
- Ohio opening its doors to 2012 Online Income Tax Filing— January 7, 2013
- Ohio Reversing Old Anti-Business Tax Policy: Millions in Overpayments Being Returned — December 18, 2012
Ohio Governor John Kasich is lauding a new department policy that'll return money to thousands of Ohio's business taxpayers.
- Ohio Reminds Shoppers of Obligation to Pay Tax on Untaxed Purchases — November 21, 2012
The Ohio Department of Taxation (ODT) is reminding shoppers on ‘Black Friday’, Cyber Monday and throughout this holiday season that if you buy something online or from a catalog, and the seller does not charge you sales tax, then Ohio law requires you to pay the tax directly to ODT.
- Ohio General Tax Amnesty Program Opens for Business (but opportunity ends soon!) — May 1, 2012
Ohio taxpayers have until June 15th to pay unreported taxes without penalty and only half the normal interest rate.
- Ohio Tax Reform Efforts Honored — Jan. 24, 2012
Former Cleveland-area legislator Sally Conway Kilbane today was inducted into the Ohio State and Local Tax Hall of Fame at the 21st annual Ohio Tax Conference in Columbus.
- Ready, Set...File — Jan. 09, 2012
For those who hate to wait, the doors opened today for electronic filing of the 2011 Ohio income tax.
- Ohio Offering Businesses Tax Amnesty to Raise Awareness of Little-known Use Tax — Sept. 26, 2011
Use Tax Amnesty starts October 1, 2011— features no penalty on tax owed.
- Ohio Taxpayers Encouraged to Scrap Paper Returns and File Online — Feb. 24, 2011
Paperless filing expected to continue rapid growth
Archived News Releases