1. Am I able to upload 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC forms on the Ohio Business Gateway, using the Upload tool?
Answer: No. Only 1099-R data files can be uploaded at the present time. The Ohio Department of Taxation will accept paper copies of the 1099- MISC and 1099- NEC forms that report Ohio withholding. Please submit scanned paper copies of these forms via email to IncomeStatementsEWT@tax.state.oh.us
2. We are an entity that submits both 1099-R and W-2 files to the State of Ohio. Are the txt files able to be combined in one upload?
Answer: No. Txt files uploaded on the Ohio Business Gateway should contain either W-2 information or 1099-R information. Numerous uploads can be done in one session. Files must NOT exceed 50mb.
3. I am a payroll provider who has uploaded 1099-R files. Will these 1099-R files be visible in my Gateway clients’ history?
Answer: No. Unlike other employer withholding transactions submitted by a payroll provider that are visible to the client, the 1099-R file upload history can only be viewed by the user who submitted the file. As a payroll provider, history of previously submitted 1099-R files uploaded can only be found within the W-2/1099 upload feature.
4. I am attempting to upload a plain text 1099-R file using the W-2/1099 Upload tool. Why am I being told that it is an invalid file type?
Answer: Txt data files that adhere to the EFW2 specifications must have a lowercase extension (.txt) in order to be successfully uploaded on the Ohio Business Gateway.
5. Where do I find information on how to correct errors?
Answer: Additional information on how to correct the most common errors can be found here (link to common errors helpful content). Please review the 1099-R specifications for more in depth guidance on correct formatting by clicking here.