Filing Season Central
Filing Season Open - January 24, 2022
Filing Season Deadline - April 18, 2022
This page serves as an online headquarters for taxpayers looking for more information about the Ohio individual and school district income tax. Click here to see what's new for tax year 2021.
Call us toll-free at 1-800-282-1780 (1-800-750-0750 for persons who use text telephones (TTYs) or adaptive telephone equipment). We are available to assist you from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
You can email your question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We strive to provide an answer within 1-2 business days.
Filing Season Resources
- Where’s my refund? — You can check on the status of your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also check your refund status by calling our automated system at 1-800-282-1784. If you submitted your return(s) by mail, your refund status may not be available for a few weeks.
- Electronic filing options — Online services is a free, secure electronic portal where you can file returns, make payments, and view additional information regarding your Ohio individual and school district income taxes.
- Ohio income tax forms — Forms are available at tax.ohio.gov/forms.
- Make a payment — If you owe, you can pay by electronic check or credit/debit card using our Guest Payment Service or our ePayment system. Payment can also be made by paper check with the correct payment voucher(s), available on our forms page.
- Your 1099 documents are available electronically — Register and log into Online Services and click on the "View Ohio 1099s" option. Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions concerning 1099s are here.
- Filing Season Tips — This page provides helpful information to help you avoid common issues that could delay the processing of your return or cause you to owe additional tax, interest and/or penalties.
- Verify a refund check — This page answers common questions about the Department of Taxation's paper refund checks.
Ohio Income Tax Information
- Ohio filing requirements — This page provides information on who does and does not need to file an Ohio income tax return.
- School district income tax — This page provides information on Ohio's school district income tax.
- Ohio residency — This page provides information on determining your Ohio residency status.
- Income taxes and the military — This page answers common questions regarding Ohio income tax for members of the military and their spouses.
- Making estimated payments — This page provides information on determining if you should make estimated payments as well as instructions for making these payments online or by mail.
- Business Income Deduction — This page provides guidance and information for taxpayers who claim the business income deduction on their personal income tax returns.
- Frequently Asked Questions — Select from the "Income" categories to get answers to some of the more frequently asked questions regarding Ohio income taxes.
- Self-Help — This page provides help with understanding Ohio income tax billing notices as well as informative tutorials.
- Tax Alerts — You can sign up to receive notices the Department periodically publishes regarding all of the taxes it administers. You can view an archive of all prior income tax alerts here.
- Information releases — Information releases are technical advisories that offer detailed explanations of the laws, rules and rulings that govern the taxes administered by the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers — IRS offices provide in-person assistance by appointment.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): — Free tax return preparation by IRS-certified volunteers is available for qualifying taxpayers. To find a location in your area, click here OR call 1-800-906-9887.
- Tax form line-item law references — These documents provide the statutory reference for each line of the IT 1040 and SD 100.
- 2021 IT 1040 statutory references
- 2021 SD 100 statutory references
- 2020 IT 1040 statutory references
- 2020 SD 100 statutory references
- 2019 IT 1040 statutory references
- 2019 SD 100 statutory references
- 2018 IT 1040 statutory references
- 2018 SD 100 statutory references
- 2017 IT 1040 statutory references
- 2017 SD 100 statutory references
- 2016 IT 1040 and SD 100 statutory references